Sunday, December 30, 2012

Graduate



I finally earned my Bachelor's in Science degree in Mathematics.  I endured such a challenging journey.  So thankful Cory supported me when I made the decision to stop working and go back to school.  I will never forget the moments leading up to graduation.  The night before I could not sleep, because I was so anxious and excited.  My last final was a big presentation the next morning. In bed, I was rehearsing over and over in my head.  I visioned everything how I wanted it with exactly what I would wear (my blue blazer, leggings, and boots) and that I would be the first to go that morning.  Everyone in my class but 3 of us had already gone and presented days before the final day.  My topic was on the constant, pi, which we have all seen in equations such as the area of a circle or volume of a sphere.  I showed the proof to the area of pi formula and showed two different ways the value of pi was derived from Archimedes and Newton.  It took me 25 minutes to present, which was perfect.  

I kid you not, while I was up in front of my class, something took over me and I felt like I was teaching more than I was just presenting.  I wasn't even nervous and I felt like I was in my natural state of mind.  It was awesome!  I used a power point for organization, and used the white board and projection machine to show proofs or equations.  I felt like I was flowing and it felt great.  In the end, I got two compliments from my professor that I never expected which were, "You proved that better than I did." and, "Gly, I really enjoyed your presentation."  I finished strong and I was actually proud of myself for once.  

The next day, I felt so free and humbled.  Before Cory left for work, all dressed in uniform, he came down to the bedroom bathroom where I was about ready to shower.  He came in with a card and graduation money inside for me, which I never expected.  He looked me straight in the eyes and told me that he was proud of me.  I hugged, kissed, thanked him with such emotion.  Funny, I told him to please go to work before I start crying with happy tears.  He had to go before he would be late.  I jumped in the shower and cried so happily.  The feeling of graduating college finally hit me and it was great.  

I had a little graduation ceremony that was held by the Multicultural Department and was invite only.  I am so happy there was a ceremony for the fall graduates. There were about 20 of us and one of my other girlfriends also took part in this.  It was a very intimate ceremony with a lunch reception after.  This ceremony had no caps and gowns, but instead we were given a purple rose and we were to speak on stage dedicating that flower to someone and also telling our story or whatever we wanted.  I gave shout outs to my family.  I almost cried when I thanked my parents, but I held it in and stayed strong.  It was all given away when my voice changed.  This event was so emotional and some people were crying.
I dedicated my rose to Cory and I loved seeing him in the back with the camera taking it all in.  Without him, I don't know if this would of been my path and I am grateful he was right by my side no matter what I decided to pursue.  Master's in Teaching, here I come!  Three more semesters to go and I am well on my way to become a teacher in secondary education.

1 comment:

  1. ............well you certainly made me cry!!! SO very proud of you and SO very proud of Cory too!! What a team you guys make!!! Love you both!

    ReplyDelete